donate

Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Birthday Layover

An explanation of the previous post, for those that haven't figured it out yet.

My ticket home from Hong Kong wasn't until June 30th. I was thinking about going to Taiwan and staying with a friend, but our emails missed eachother, and that was becoming less and less of a possbility, and my funds were getting smaller each day. I'd spent the last 3 nights sleeping on the floor of my friend's hotel in HK, and I was kind of getting bored in the city. Plenty to do if you've got money, although not too much for the backpacker. This is when I hatched the plan to leave 9 days early, come home and work, and enjoy Boston for a while... Of course I didn't tell anyone this.

So on the 21st I walked into the front door of my house and said hello to all of my roommates as if I'd just come home from class rather than a 16 hour flight and a 5 hour bus ride from New York City. Needless to say they were shocked... My brother couldn't believe his eyes; but this was just the beginning. The next morning I woke up early and headed down to the lovely town of Hebron, Connecticut to try and track down Kristen, whose address I vagueley remembered from exchanging addresses and credit card numbers to book flights for the past 2 months.

I found her house on the second attempt and her brother let me in the house and showed me where her room was. I walked in while she was still asleep and woke her up. I'd say it was the best surprise of all time (especially since she had been talking to me in Hong Kong (my couch in Boston) just 8 hours earlier.

Spent a few days in CT, headed to Boston, went to work, Kristen came up and stayed the last week with me. 4th of July, Tyler's birthday, my birthday yesterday, shopping for warm clothes for Chile (next Saturday's low is 28 degrees) and on Thursday I begin the second half of Travel Summer when I fly to Santiago, Chile where I'll stay for a month and spend the following month bummin' around South America. 3 Continents in 3 weeks isn't too bad.

Adios,
Josh

No comments: