donate

Saturday, June 2, 2007

Three days in Tokyo

So I am here in Tokyo, made it pretty painless. I had an entire row to sleep on the first plane, and exit row with a young couple on the second plane and two seats that were just big enough for me to lay down and sleep. Extremely painless for anyone who has flown over seas before. I have had some pretty bad experiences in planes. anyway I get here and jump on a train that a very helpful english speaking japanese girl helped me figure out. The train was similar to the commuter rail in the distance between stops and the fact that we were in a suburban area but resembles the T in the way it looks but clearly much cleaner. I didn't really do much but sit there and observe the japanese ppl. They are very quite, always looking at their cellphones and rarely looked up for more than a second. I definitely did not make eye contact with anyone. They, I know i'm generalizing and grouping ppl but what ever it works easier for this forum. anyway they were all reading these little books that had the same book covering, kinda like your text books in middle school and I am very curious to know what they are.

I got off the train in the middle of that huge intersection that you always see on the discovery and travel channel with like a million ppl crossing diagonal across the street, it was pretty rad. Similar to time square but Japanese. You would assume that being in Japan they would have some sweet ads about some Japanese video game and huge ramen noodle restaurants. Nope billboards for movies like 300 which hasn't been released here and the worlds highest grossing starbucks is the first thing I see, which by the way only allows you to order things in the tall size, the glutenous Americans we are with our venti coffee.

So I met layna and her apt is really small but cozy, I have to duck to get in door ways and all the matresses are on the floor. Hot water comes from individual heating units in the shower and at the sink. The toilets have a little faucet at the top I am assuming to wash your hands in, but then it drains into the reservoir for the next flush? confusing right. So clearly when you come to live in another country you should at least put some effort into learning the language right? well not these girls thats for sure. we head out to dinner and pick three things on the menu, which we can't read...I coined it point and pray. we got two decent noodle dishes(cold noodles with hot dipping stuff) one so so noodle dish with a bland dipping stuff and one awful duck noodle cold bread thing...

My meals have been really good over all and I have had a great time, its wildly over priced, extravagant and definitely something to be experienced at some point in your life. I guess I'm here for a reason. We hit up the bars last night and ended up roaming the streets drinking cold saki purchased from a 7/11. Made it home to crash on a mattress on the floor how fitting. future plans...meet josh, hit up the fish market, eat from a sushi conveyor belt and see the imperial gardens...and possibly climb mt fuji?

No comments: